Thursday, September 4, 2014

A Mother's Blessing


Jim and Whitney Toboni

A Mother’s Blessing

Jim and Whitney Toboni, August 20, 2014
 
I have no idea how two people know from the moment they meet
that they will always be together
How did I know when I met David that he was the one?
How did Tim and Dawn know when their eyes locked?
I’m just delighted all of us ended up together
because the result is Jim and Whitney, and they are clearly in love

Theirs is a modern fairytale
Even when the two were far apart
Whitney studying in Bakersfield, Jim working in Napa
There was a bond from iphone to iphone
Did you see their adorable notes on facebook?
Tap, tap, tap, “I love ya foreva”
Tap, tap, tap, “In 13 hours I’ll pick you up
from the train station”─ 3 exclamation points, 4 hearts
Tap, tap, tap, kiss, kiss, kiss
Shoot a picture
Share

Intangible ideas
That’s what I believe in
Fate and magic
There is a will that created this event
A spell swirling in a tropic-scented breeze
Intensified by exotic cocktails
And the gaze of a lover’s eyes
 
Love is a powerful emotion
No matter how sappy and sentimental it looks
I will shed tears by the end of this toast
Jim, I’m so happy for you
Whitney, welcome to our family

Today is August 20th, 2014
I offer this toast with my tears as a blessing
Congratulations! I love you both!
 
(My wedding toast at son, Jim's wedding in Mexico.)

10 comments:

Laura McHale Holand said...

A proud moment and passage so beautifully captured. Congratulations, Barbara!

barb bits said...

Thank you, Laura. It was a proud moment. Their love is very special and I felt compelled to write about it.

barb bits said...

An email from a friend:
Barb, Your "Mother's Blessing" poem is very touching; very lovely. How fortunate for Jimmy and Whitney to have this tribute to cherish and keep in their wedding book. Congratulations to you all! Love, Jackie

barb bits said...

Thanks, Jackie. I wanted to give them something lasting that they could look back on.

patsyann@sonic.net said...

Barbara, this is a perfect message for two people in love from a person who loves them both.

barb bits said...

Thanks, Patsy. They are a very devote pair. It's been fun to watch them.

Unknown said...

It made me feel as if I was there. Sorry I missed it

barb bits said...

Thanks, Nancy. I know you were there in spirit. There are lots of pictures. You'll see soon.

Amber Starfire said...

Such a beautiful toast. I'll bet there were tears in many eyes!

barb bits said...

Thanks for your comment, Amber. Most of the teary-eyed were moms, and I spotted a few teary-eyed dads, so gratifying!